Overcome Challenges in an Interior Designing Career
Interior Designing is an attractive career. It has many possibilities to grow and excel. But like all careers, it also comes with several challenges. These challenges can be very discouraging. But the onus is on us to leave them behind and go on the road to success. In this blog, let us see how we can overcome these challenges! #ThinkWithNiche
Interior Designer, Wow! Due to its elegant and sophisticated nature, this career is so enticing! Each of us wants to join this field and be called an Interior designer. And why not the vocation deal with such things as decoration, style, and colors. You want to get into this field and decorate office spaces, furniture, hotels or home spaces, etc. You can transform ordinary spaces into extraordinary ones by the use of your imaginative ability and creative thing. What’s more? The average pay of an Interior Designer is 4 Lakhs per annum. It enhances the charm of this job. All this makes Interior Design a dream career!
What is Interior Design?
Interior Design is the art of transforming the appeal and appearance of a particular indoor space. As a great designer said, "The key to great design is capturing the spirit of the client and essence of the space." A good Interior designer uses his talent and imagination to convert the dreams and ideas of the client into a mesmerizing space.
Aspiring to be an Interior Designer?
If you are creative and you have the knack for observing space with a unique perspective, you can become an Interior Designer. You should have an eye for detail and a comprehensive knowledge of materials, planning, construction, conceptualization, and execution. You must be able to polish the place according to building codes and makes it fully functional.
You need to know about design theory, floor planning, and theoretical concepts. Innovative thinking is an important ability to possess for an Interior Designer! In addition, one must be aware of the current trends to produce the best results for the clients. The best part is that the Interior Designing Professionals find a job with reputed business houses, interior designing companies as well as open their own Interior Design firms. These days, celebrities are also taking up Interior Designing and creating masterpieces. It also inspires many aspirants to move forward in this line.
Challenges in Interior Designing!
There is no doubt that the field of Interior Designer is very appealing. It is a creative line with a good salary and infinite possibilities. One can enjoy this job and make money also! But where there are roses, there are thorns too! You may say, every job comes laden with challenges! What is new in it? But the Interior Designer field deals with creating things on time, and you have to finish projects before the deadline. Otherwise, it can affect your image and your profile also. You can lose the trust of your clients. We all know how crucial trust is for our success! We can bear if we lose a project, but if trust is lost, everything is lost!
We must think about it before entering this field. So let us see what type of challenges we can face and the supposed solutions that can help us carve a niche for ourselves in this field:
Time Management is crucial
Time Management is extremely essential in Interior Designing. An Interior Designer has to complete a particular project before the stipulated time. It means that you must complete all the brainstorming, decision-making, and creating before the stipulated time. It is very often not possible. Something or the other is left behind. It can also be that you work in a hurry to complete the work on time. It can lead to half-baked results. Somewhere something could come out to be less polished. It could pose a problem for you as your clients can be unsatisfied. More than them, you can be unsatisfied. So, you must think about overcoming this problem to enhance your profile.
- Prioritize your Work - To escape this problem, you must list each task for the day according to its importance. It means the task that requires immediate attention, should be kept first, and the task that can wait should come below it. By prioritizing the tasks, you can easily solve time-related problems and increase the efficiency of your business!
Promoting your Vision
One of the biggest challenges for an Interior Designer is making the client understand your idea and accept it! Many difficulties arise in this path! Firstly, when you do not have the picture or the floor plan of the site, it is hard to give the feel of your ideas to the client.
- Use Presentations And Mood Boards - One must try hard to make the client understand your vision. Whether it is fabric samples, mood boards, or presentations, one can use anything to attract the client and bring him on the same level as you are! Do whatever you can to woo the client!
Finance is also one of the important parts of your business. Whether it is invoice or purchase orders, managing it efficiently is a mammoth task. If you are not so organized in handling your finances, it can lead to failure. Your entire hard work can become nil if your finances are not in your control. You can suffer big time!
- Helping hand of Accounting Software – The modern age is the age of innovative software. You also have infinite software to help you organize your finances. Now there are many accounting software that is created especially for interior designers. It streamlines the process, and handling the finances becomes simple and easy!
Keeping with the Trend
It is possibly the biggest challenge for an Interior Designer. He must be well versed with the trends and styles of the contemporary age. But at the same time, he must instill a sense of timeless class in the decor. So if the designer is not so skilled, he may falter. Seeing outdated designs can frustrate the client and rob you of your business!
- Combining Timeless with Trendy - Therefore, an Interior Designer must be skilled to create designs that are not only trendy by timeless also! The designs must go beyond the age to appeal to the gen-X. At the same time, they must be trendsetters. Only then an Interior designer can thrive in his position.
This is supposedly the biggest challenge, not only for an Interior Designer but for any entrepreneur or start-up. Meeting the Client's expectations is a priority for each business. Their satisfaction is the main goal from the beginning, but very often, we have to struggle to get their approval. Sometimes we lose their trust for no reason! But we must do anything to match their expectations.
- Maintaining Client Expectations - Therefore, we must do all we can to match the expectations of the clients. Indeed, the Clients want the best for themselves, and they rightfully expect you to excel at your Interior Designer job. The onus is on you to produce more than satisfactory results. Instead of getting discouraged, make proper planning. Even a minor task must be time-bound and completed within the budget and time. This way, you will complete even big projects on time and with the expected quality. And it will go a long way in enhancing your profile and goodwill.
The interior design career can indeed be very challenging, but it is also true that you can overcome all these challenges with proper planning. You only need a passion for design and a unique vision, and if you have it, nothing can prevent you from reaching the pinnacle of success. So, begin your preparations dear Interior designer, and let your name gleam in the hearts of your clients!